Tri Color Poori Recipe:
"Rang Bharat Ke, Swaad Dinesh Ke: Tri-Color Poori by Dinesh Flour Mills."
Tricolor Poori is a visually appealing and festive version of the traditional Indian fried bread, often made to celebrate India's Independence Day. This recipe incorporates three distinct colors to represent the Indian flag: saffron (or orange), white, and green.
- Dinesh Flour Mills Atta (Whole wheat flour ) - 2 cups
- Salt - to taste
- Water - for kneading
- Oil - for deep frying
For the Saffron/Orange Color:
- Carrot juice - 3 to 4 tbsp or
- Orange food color - a pinch (if you're using it)
For the Green Color:
- Spinach (Palak) puree - 3 to 4 tbsp or
- Green food color - a pinch (if you're using it)
Preparing the Dough:
- Divide the whole wheat flour into three equal parts (approximately 2/3 cup each).
- In one part, add carrot juice (or a pinch of orange food color) and knead it into a firm dough. If the dough feels sticky, you can add a little plain flour. Once kneaded, set it aside covered with a damp cloth.
- In the second part, add water and salt. Knead it into a firm dough. Again, set it aside covered with a damp cloth.
- For the third part, add the spinach puree (or a pinch of green food color) and knead it into a firm dough. Set it aside covered with a damp cloth.
- Allow all three doughs to rest for about 20-30 minutes.
Making the Pooris:
- Take a small portion from each dough and roll them into balls.
- Place the green dough ball at the bottom, then the white, and then the saffron/orange on top.
- Gently press them together and then roll them out into a circle, similar to how you'd roll regular pooris. Make sure you don't roll them too thin, as they should puff up when frying.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough.
Frying the Pooris:
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Once the oil is hot, gently slide in the rolled poori. Press gently using a slotted spoon; this will help the poori puff up.
- Flip the poori once the bottom side turns golden brown. Fry the other side until it's golden brown as well.
- Remove the poori and place it on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Repeat the process for the remaining pooris.
Serve the tricolor pooris hot with your choice of curry, yogurt, or pickle. Enjoy the festive feel they bring to your table!